December 8, 2010

easy DIY gift: crochet neck warmer





as a self-taught wannabe-crochet master, i tend to stick to simple projects that feel luxurious without being overly complicated or stressful (read: can be completed during an episode of Glee). I've fallen in love with a few of the winter cowls and neckwarmers floating around the blogosphere this season, so i grabbed myself a skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease yarn in Wheat (bulky, gorgeous, and easy to work with) and got to work on this beautiful neckwarmer that i will be gifting someone special this year. if you can do a simple crochet chain stitch, you can do this!

(pssst: if you want to learn to crochet, Threadbanger has some awesome video tutorials!)

First, i chain stitched 55 long - turns out, this is a great way to practice your fundamental crochet skills - i managed to keep this one straight and symmetrical (sometimes my projects shrink, distort, and fall apart halfway through when i don't count the stitches like a bad little crocheter!)
I did about a dozen rows (told you I am bad at counting!), or until it felt comfortable around the neck - When laying flat, my crocheted piece measured approximately 23 inches wide and 9 inches tall. I generally go by feel - wrap it around your neck and see what you think!
Next, I stitched on 2 vintage buttons with embroidery floss...
ta-da! You have now made a neckwarmer and can cross someone off your gifting list - I love how the buttons can slip into any one of the holes and the whole piece can be worn a few different ways...
I even did a "mini" one for a little matching earwarming headband! 


Easy, right? This year i am (financially) forced to get creative with gift-giving, so stay tuned for more easy, budget-friendly gift ideas coming your way.... happy crocheting!

ps: Betsy over at The Dainty Daisy is having a crochet-stitch along to Stephanie's convertible cowl pattern and i think i might join her...... all aboard the crochet gift wagon!

disclaimer: family members who may receive a similar gift like this.. please act surprised.

9 comments:

katiebug92 said...

this is super cute!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Pretty! I'm loving anything made from big, chunky yarn this year. Lucky recipient!

Hannah B. said...

I just started crocheting about a year ago and am totally hooked! Lion Brand is my favorite, and I love how cozy this looks so I will definitely be trying it out!

Carol Anne said...

This is a good idea for gifts I need to make last minute. Did you just use one skein for it? And what size hook did you use?

Mo Pie, Please said...

So cute! I'm a knitter and just learned the crochet chain last week so I might have to give this a go! I need a headband badly!

Intothewildwoods said...

What starch have you used?

Anonymous said...

For the life of me, I cannot firgure this out. I consider myself a relatively advanced crocheter, but ie been trying for the past couple of hours to get my stitch to mirror yours, and I've got nothing to show for it. I love the way yours looks, and it seems like if all you did was a beginner level stitch, I could get it, but alas, it eludes me. What did you do after you chained 55?

Tammy in Seattle said...

I agree with "Anonymous" with having no idea what "stitch" you used. You only said you started with "Chained stitch 55 long." (Meaning you chained 55 to start?) But you didn't say what you did "next." You just said you sewed buttons on it! Everyone commenting said they couldn't wait to do the pattern, but you didn't give the info for what you did after you chained. Please, can you let us know what comes after chaining 55? The scarf is adorable, and we'd all love to know how you did it! Please follow up with the answer! I'm a certified instructor, & I can't tell what stitch you did either! Thank you so much.

Tammy in Seattle said...

Okay, after looking for a longer time, I'm wondering if you slip stitched every row. Is that what you did? It's hard to tell. You said if we knew how to do a simple chain stitch, we could do it. A "chain stitch" is only the foundation of all crochet work. It's the starting chain "foundation" that all pattern stitched from then on, are started from. So, I'm guessing you chained 55, then turned and "slipped stitched" into each "chain stitch" to the end of the row, turned and went back again, (with slip stitching again, only this time, on top of the previous slip stitches)to the other end. Is this right? A chain stitch is just that, a "chain" that other stitches are built "upon." I hope I'm helping you here, so you can go on creating wonderful works of art for all to enjoy. Keep creating!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...